Friday, July 11, 2008

Operation Desert Storm

So, this will be quick as I'm writing to you from a very comfy couch in a small coffee shop called 'Jolts & Juice' in downtown Ontario, OR. Tomorrow we will be leaving this state for Boise, ID. My experience in Oregon has been hot, dry, and fun. The entire time here in Oregon from Pendleton to La Grande to Baker City to Huntington to here in Ontario we've been biking through more of the Sonoran Desert. It has been very hot and as dry as a popcorn fart. The hottest my thermometre on my bike has reached has been around 40C (104F). But I have to say, the people of Oregon have been the kindest and happiest people we have met so far.
Last night was interesting. We were in the very small and sadly impoverished town of Huntington, OR and were perched on top of a hill over looking the town of about 500 people from a football field with desert surrounding on all sides. Well, as luck would have it the wind picked up, and boy did it not let up. The wind was intense, picking up the finest of fine and driest of dry dust I've ever seen and blowing it in large clouds against and through our tent town. It was crazy!! My tent sadly lost the battle and collapsed on me, however I wasn't asleep yet anyway, as the fly was making far too much noise in the wind to ever entertain the idea of rest. So I let nature win the battle I now call Desert Storm and slept with the a small group of other defeatents on the school gym floor.
The ride is still surprising me everyday, I've learned not to expect anything and to be ready for whatever is around the next hill.
Peace&GodBless
MattRekman

Flat tire count: 159... 3 of which are mine :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear your tent lost its battle, hopefully it is not any worse for it. Hope the gym floor was cozy! Try to stay cool, well rested and may your tires always be full of air-hot air for you though :) Thanks for keeping us posted. God's blessings to you and keep you all safe

Anonymous said...

Dry as a popcorn fart!

Man, I haven't heard that one in ages!

Blesings